3/28/10

my friends that don't even know who I am

I have always liked leisurely reading.

It was in grade 4 when I think I finished the entire Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series. That's like an entire bookcase of books, a new book a day. Since then I never grew tired of reading. I was never without my trusty companions.

I am not excited when it comes to going to malls, and If ever I'll go there at times there's a pretty good chance that you'll me inside a bookstore. I'll be searching for books --- reading to see if they are worthwhile to read.

And going inside a bookstore is a kind of a different experience for me. Its more than a candy store it's like Disneyland, only better.
It's not seeing heaps of books, instead its seeing their author hanging around inside the bookstore waiting for someone to talk to, someone to challenge and someone to entertain or inform.

------------------------------------
My friends don't know me.
We hang out a lot, yet don't even have the slightest idea
that I do exist.
We have been friends for a while now yet they were not aware somehow
that I listen to them and that they do challenge
my beliefs and values.
Wanna meet them?

Lets here it from them:

“We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
Clive Staples Lewis
----------------------------------
I have thought I am a creature of a day, passing through life as an arrow through the air. I am a spirit come from God, and returning to God, just hovering over the great gulf, till a few moments hence, I am no more seen; I drop into an unchangeable eternity! I want to know one thing—the way to heaven, how to land safe on that happy shore. God himself has condescended to teach the way; for this very end He
came from heaven. He has written it down in a book. O give me that Book at any price, give me the Book of God”
(from the preface of Sermons on Several Occasions by John Wesley, originally published in 1771)
-----------------------------------
The prochoice position always overlooks the victim's right to choose. The women don't choose rape. The blacks didn't choose slavery. The Jews didn't choose the ovens. And the babies don't choose abortion.
--
Randy Alcorn
--------------------------
The faith that justifies is a faith that also sanctifies. And the test whether our faith is the kind of faith that justifies is whether it is the kind of faith that sanctifies. -John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment